Spring Break 2014 Photo Contest Winners’ Stories

The Little Hawk’s Spring Break Photo Contest followed students around the globe. The top three winners share their stories.

Innes Hicsasmaz, Reporter

Whether students stayed at home or traveled around the world for spring break, the Little Hawk’s Spring Break Photo Contest went with them. Here are the stories behind the top three most-liked photos of the contest.

Amy Suter ‘14 spent spring break on the other side of the world visiting her sister in Barcelona, Spain.

“It was a ton of fun,” Suter said.

After a short plane ride, she and her family landed on the island of Palma de Mallorca off the coast of Spain. After walking up a large hill overlooking the city, Suter admired the view.

“I just thought, ‘this is beautiful,’” Suter said.

Overlooking Palma de Mallorca, Spain
The view overlooking Palma de Mallorca, Spain

For Jamarty Hall ‘14, spring break consisted of playing basketball and video games in Iowa City. After a long day on the court, Hall decided to submit a picture to The Little Hawk’s Spring Break Photo contest of himself at home.

“I thought it’d be funny and I thought I’d get a Pancheros burrito,” Hall said.

His selfie stuck out alongside numerous photos of sunsets and landscapes. Hall hoped his sense of humor did not keep him from being considered.

“It didn’t seem like you guys were going to put it up at first,” he joked.

Hall’s photo demonstrated a more accurate portrayal of spring break for many students at City High, helping him to earn 55 likes on Facebook.

Jamarty Hall relaxes with some snacks
Jamarty Hall ’14 relaxes with some snacks

Mr. Leman made the best of the dreary Iowa weather by hanging out with his four kids. Five-month-old Peter stole the spotlight with Leman’s submission.

“I saw that onesie at Raygun and we put him in it for St. Patrick’s Day,” he said.

It took multiple attempts to get a good picture for the grandparents. Leman was not surprised that his picture had a lot of likes because people had come up to him complimenting the photo.

“Everybody loves babies because they’re little and cute,” Leman said.

The charm did not stay for long, though, as Peter threw up soon after the picture was taken.

Peter Leman flashes a smile on St. Patrick's Day
Peter Leman flashes a smile on St. Patrick’s Day

Preview:

Spring Break is almost here! Tweet your spring break photos @thelittlehawk or #LHSB2014 to enter to win a Panchero’s burrito card. Photos can be tweeted through Monday, March 24. The Little Hawk will post all appropriate entries on Facebook and the photographers who receive the top three most “likes” will receive a burrito card.  Go to The Little Hawk on Facebook to “like” photos through April 4.