Girls Tennis Improves as Season Progresses

The girls’ tennis team redeems itself after losses early in the season.

Cora Bern-Klug

Eve Small returns a serve against Clinton

Innes Hicsasmaz, Reporter

The season for girls’ varsity tennis is off to a good start. With a 1-1 record in the conference, the team is looking to improve their record. Progress is evident as City’s score has increased by one game with each loss this past week: CR Washington (7-2), Clinton (6-3), and Bettendorf (5-4).

There are 9 matches (6 singles, 3 doubles) in a meet, each made up of 10 games.

“This is still the beginning of the season. We won’t play as well now as we will in May,” said head coach Fred Pedersen. “We can only go up from here.”

The team tipped the scale this past Tuesday, April 15, as they defeated Waterloo East with a 9-0 swoop. The top six won all their singles matches 10-0, giving City a 6-0 overall lead in just under an hour. The doubles matches quickly followed, continuing the winning streak, with the only loss coming from No.3 doubles, winning 10-2.

It was quite the contrast to the team’s first meet on April 8, against CR Washington.

“We faced our hardest competition at our first meet,” said Pedersen.

Washington has a very strong team this year, with returning upperclassmen like Lilly Hartman and Hannah Sherman taking the top positions, and strong underclassmen filling the bottom ranks. It was more of a learning experience for City, as over half of the team consists of players new to competitive tennis.

Eve Small ‘15 (No.1) contributed to both wins against Washington, winning her singles match 10-3. In addition, Small and Innes Hicsasmaz ‘16 (No.2) defeated Washington’s No.1 doubles team of Hartman and Moore, who reached semi-finals in state last year.

“It really speaks to how far we could go this year,” reflected Small. “The fact that we beat them 10-3 makes me feel confident about doubles this year.”

This past Saturday, Pedersen spoke to his team over pancakes at the Booster Club’s pancake breakfast. He highlighted eagerness and drive as important aspects of the game.

“I’m looking for more emotion than I saw against Washington. We need to really want it if we’re going to win,” said Pedersen.

City faced off against returning state champions Clinton that same morning. With few players graduating last year, their lineup has changed little. Two City players were absent due to ACT testing and replacements were needed. City’s wins came from Small and Hicsasmaz, both winning their singles matches and their doubles match by wide margins.

Innes Hicsasmaz and Eve Small celebrate after a point against Clinton

Susanna Gianola ‘16 (No.3) was the last singles match on court as she battled Clinton’s Samantha Brisch. Gianola struggled to keep a substantial lead and ended up losing the match 10-7. However, the rest of the team sat on the sidelines and cheered her on as she continued to rally.

“It makes a real difference when your teammates come over and cheer,” said Gianola. “Even though I lost, I still felt good about my match.”

City was able to hold off a Clinton victory for over four hours- much longer than most meets take. The team returned to the courts an hour later, this time to face Bettendorf.

The first victory came from the bottom of the line-up, with a win by Regina freshman Lucy Wagner ’17 (No.5). Kit Finley ’15 (No.4) and Small won their matches easily while matches at Nos.2 and 3 struggled against skilled players from Bettendorf.

With the singles matches split 3-3, doubles became the deciding factor of the meet. Small and Hicsasmaz defeated Bettendorf’s No.1 team 10-2, making the overall score 4-3. However, losses at Nos.2 and 3 doubles prevented a victory for City High.

The No.2 doubles team of Finley and Gianola struggled to keep a two-game lead over Bettendorf, but refused to give up more than one game at a time, dragging the match out to a score of 11-9.

“Overall, what needs to happen is happening: we are improving in our match play and we are becoming closer as a team,” said Pedersen. “That’s all I ask of these girls this season. They do that and we can do anything.”

The next home meet for the team is on April 19, against Jefferson at 9:00 am and Kennedy at 1:00 pm.