Senior Class President Voting This Friday

Sheree Murphy, Reporter

Class President candidate posters have been visible on lockers and billboards for the last few weeks. From funny puns to pretty pictures, these juniors are working hard to get votes from their classmates in order to win the City High Senior President election. But few students actually know the various roles of the class president.

This year, six people are competing for President and four students for Vice President. Becoming Class President looks good on a resume, but being president is not all fun and games.

“The Senior Class President has many responsibilities,” Mr. Tygrett, advisor of Student Senate, said.

The Class President serves as the senior class voice, representative of the student body, and president of Student Senate Club. They are responsible for conducting weekly meetings, delegating tasks, giving the graduating commencement speech, and ensuring that all school initiatives are done. These initiatives include Homecoming and the food drives City High hosts.

The President is also required to go to the School Board meeting once a month. He or she reports updates on activities and initiatives happening around City High. In this, the President represents the entire student body.

The current students who have decided to take up this challenge are Jonathan House, Lucia Wagner, Jarod Taylor, and Sofie Lie. The Vice President candidates are Natalie Holmes, Sasha Chapnick-Sorokin, Naeem Smith, and Lucy McGehee.

The whole junior class will vote during 5th period this Friday, May 13, in Opstad Auditorium after listening to the candidate’s speeches. Students will vote on scan-trons for the president and vice president of their choice. The ballots and votes will then be tallied and the results will be announced by the end of the day.