New Teacher Profile: Jill Humston

Maia Janssen, Reporter

Every day during her classes, Dr. Jill Humston handles rapid fire questions from her students as they come to her with concerns about their work. 

“She always makes sure you understand what’s going on,” Kate Murray ‘19 said. “And if you’re confused, it’s easy to feel like you could go to her for help.”

Coming from a small school in Hudson, IA; Dr. Humston is the newest addition to the City High science department. She’ll be teaching Chemistry and Honors Chemistry.

“This year, I want to get to know people,” Humston said. “My previous school was so small that I knew everybody…it’s different for me coming in and not knowing students..”

Humston got her PhD in biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin, where she did work on muscular dystrophy. Since then, she’s taught students ranging from 7th graders to college seniors in schools all over Iowa.

“Every age group I’ve worked with has had something really fun and unique about them,” Humston said. “I can’t really pick a favorite,”

Humston is a City High alumnus, having graduated in 1998. For her, the change from City High student to City High teacher is strange but also exciting.

“It’s kind of weird, to come back and feel like a student but know that I’m not,” Humston said. “But it’s actually really cool to be back in the building as a teacher now.”

A new job in a new town is full of exciting possibilities, but Dr. Humston is mostly just looking forward to being back in the City High community.

“I’m just excited about being back home and being part of everything again.” Humston said.