Art Club Seeks New Members

+Nina+Lavezzo-Stecopoulos+and+Maria+Buri+show+glass+pieces+they+made+at+Art+Club

Nina Lavezzo-Stecopoulos and Maria Buri show glass pieces they made at Art Club

Lizzi Ayers, Reporter

A cutting tool scrapes a blue shard of glass with a squeal. Another student stands over a stained glass yin-yang design, melting the metal outlines. Pencils scratch on paper. From screen printing to photo emulsion to glass melding, City High’s Art Club is doing it all.

Nina Lavezzo-Stecopoulos ‘20 and Maria Buri ‘20 had a playful banter during the interview, saying they were going to do rope-making and then contradicting themselves.

The girls are two of the few ‘original’ Art Club members. However, they have grown in the past few weeks.

“We have many newly recruited members,” said Lavezzo-Stecopoulos.

One of these new artists is Julian Herrera ‘17, whose favorite activity is sketching.

“I like to draw people,” Herrera said. “I got into art because of my brother.”

Along with drawing, there are many other skills exemplified in Art Club.

“I like painting,” said Buri, “and I like just experimenting with different stuff.”

Friends do not always like the exact same things, though.

“I like to draw with pencils and ink,” said Lavezzo-Stecopoulos.

However fun Art Club is, it would be hard to go without time information. Art Club is after school on Tuesdays, and goes until 5:00.

One of the two art teachers, Michael Close, was supervising a glass workshop where Lavezzo-Stecopoulos was leading students in making magnets, jewelry and other glass projects. Lavezzo-Stecopoulos gestured to the piece of glass she was holding.

“First, outline the design with the thin cutting tool,” she said.

She dragged the tool across the glass. As she demonstrated the cutting technique, the newer students leaned towards her. Next to her, Buri was making a pair of dangling earrings.

“I made some last week, but they didn’t turn out like I hoped, so I gave them to Nina [Lavezzo-Stecopoulos],” Buri said. “I’m hoping these ones will turn out better.”

Another member, Maryam Abuissa ‘20, created an intricate piece with an orange fish swimming above some seaweed.

“I mostly like to draw with pastels or pencil,” she said. “But it’s always fun to experiment with new things.”

However many new people they may have, Art Club is far from full.

“Everyone is welcome!” Lavezzo-Stecopoulos said. “Bring people, despite our introvertedness.”