Ashley Joens Announces Commitment to Iowa State

Ashley Joens ’18 recently committed to play basketball at Iowa State. Joens is one of the top 20 girls basketball recruits in the nation.

Joseph Cress

Ashley Joens ’18 cuts back away from a Cedar Rapids Prairie defender on Friday, January 29th, 2016.

Noah Bullwinkle, Reporter

On November 21, City High junior and nationwide 16th ranked girls basketball prospect (ESPN) Ashley Joens announced her commitment to Iowa State to continue her basketball and academic career.

Joens has excelled throughout her time as a Little Hawk. Last year, she averaged 19.3 points per game along with 8.9 rebounds as well. She also led the Little Hawks to the regional final game and was named the Iowa City Press Citizen’s Girls Basketball Player of the Year.

City High head coach Bill McTaggart believes that Joens’ devotion to the game has helped make her a top prospect in the the class of 2018.

“What sets her apart is how hard she works when practice is over,” McTaggart said. “She spends a lot of time at open gyms with her father and her sisters or by herself continuing to improve her game.”

Joens said that she had visited other colleges but that Iowa State seemed like the best place.

“I went to visit Iowa State, and it just felt like the right place,” Joens said. “The team, the players there, the coaches, and the style of play; it just fit together.”

According to McTaggart, Joens has not only been a leader on the court, but in the classroom at City High.

“[Ashley is] very likeable, a student athlete who gets along with everybody. Not only is she a good player on the court, but she excels in the classroom.”