Movie Review: Logan

Michael Menietti, Reporter

Attention, spoilers ahead!

After playing the iconic character of Wolverine for seventeen years, Hugh Jackman is finally hanging up the claws after this final installment. Logan was number one at the box office across the nation and the globe on its opening weekend – it earned a total of $237.9M worldwide. In all honesty, I am not surprised. The hype for this movie has been built up for a long time, ever since the rumors for an old-man Logan movie surfaced years ago.

The movie was amazing, emotional, and brought a great end to the character (although I wish it wasn’t ending). However, X-Men movies are notorious for plotholes. Oh so many plotholes. I could write a novel-length list of all of them- but I won’t (maybe later).

The biggest plothole is how many characters randomly disappear from the movies- and I’m not even talking about the numerous rushed and badly done deaths. Most of the mutants that were featured in X-Men: First Class were confirmed dead in a scene in the next movie, Days of Future Past. However, Janos/Riptide was never mentioned. Even worse, he had a total of zero lines in First Class. Azazel’s case was almost as bad: he had about two lines throughout the two hour twelve minute movie.

“Logan” was a tad different from how the comics portrayed the story. However–from what I noticed, anyway–the differences were very minor. For example,  the ‘clone’ of Wolverine, X-24, does not exist in the comics whatsoever. But it adds to the overall emotional tone of the movie when X-24 kills Professor X, thinking it is the original Logan.

Overall, my rating of this movie would be a solid 10/10. I don’t understand people who want movies to be exactly the same as the source material; that makes it boring and you always know what’s coming. As well as nothing seeming to be forced–none of the fights or emotional moments–Logan was a good movie and hit all the major points, rising and falling in action at the perfect junctures.