Cedar Rapids Jefferson Falls 0-4 Against City High

Olivia Baird, Reporter

The City High women’s soccer team took a tough loss against Union High School on Saturday, April 8th. Even after being shut out 0-2, City High was not ready to give up. The girls traveled to Lower Kingston Stadium in Cedar Rapids to face their opponents, Cedar Rapids Jefferson, for the second time this spring. City High faced Jefferson a week previously at Kingston Stadium in their Jamboree Scrimmage.

At kickoff, City High’s Sydney Deprenger ’18, a junior on the City High roster, ran the ball down the right side of the field and served a great ball into her teammate, Sophie Van Meter ’17, and the ball flew left of goal. There was pressure up top within seconds of the game’s start from City High. Deprenger got a hit on the ball and placed it in the back of the goal, putting City up 1-0. The team kept the ball on their offensive half for the majority of the first half and kept creating opportunities in front of Jefferson’s goal. Before halftime, Sydney Schroder ’17 scored another goal leaving the score 2-0 at halftime.

At the start of the second half, City yet again kept the ball and controlled the game. The outside forwards, Madeline Pugh ’19 and Deprenger, did a lot of work along the sidelines and served the ball into the center of the box multiple times, giving their teammates more opportunities in front of the goal. Sam Schroder, a sophomore at City High, brought the ball down the field centrally and kicked it past the end line and past the goalie. The score was now 3-0. Pugh got the last goal in the game and the final score was 4-0. The team had 17 shots on goal compared to Jeffersons 2 shots which were both saved by City High’s goalie, Naomi Meurice ’19.

City High’s record for the 2017 spring season is now 2-1. The girls get ready to host their opponents Dubuque Senior at home, Thursday April 13. Kickoff is at 4:15 at the City High turf.