City Falls to West High Rivals

Olivia Baird, Reporter

The City High-West High cross-town rivalry has been a known conflict in Iowa City for years. Every spring, the Iowa City soccer community comes together to watch the City vs. West soccer matches. The varsity women played on Friday, April 21st at the University of Iowa soccer field at 5:00. City High, previously 4-2, faced West High, who were undefeated.

At the kickoff, City High started off with lots of pressure on their opponents. City High had good movement of the ball and kept West High away from their goalie. The game was pretty even as far as possession went and there were not a lot of shots on goal from either team. With 25 seconds left in the first half, Rachel Olson ’19 had a lucky shot from the left side of City’s goal, and scored in the top right side of the goal. This put the score at 0-1. West High was up at halftime.

At the beginning of the second half, you could see the urgency within City’s movement of the ball. Most of the second half, City kept the ball on West’s side of the field and kept pressuring West’s backline. West High’s Regan Steigleder ’17, had a dangerous breakaway and placed the ball in the back of the net. City was now down two goals with 30 minutes left in the game. City, with 9 shots on goal, was unable to score, leaving the score 0-2.

West High remains undefeated and City High’s record now is 4-3. City High hosts Xavier High School at home on their turf at 4:15, Tuesday, April 25th.