Teacher Appreciation Week: Ms. Sotillo

Reese Hill, Reporter

No way could I ever pick a favorite teacher, but if I had to narrow it down, Ms. Sotillo would definitely be in the final handful.  Ms. Sotillo is my homeroom and English 9 Honors teacher, as well as my friend and a wonderful person.

As soon as I met Ms. Sotillo, I knew I would like her a lot.  She was funny and spirited and always smiling, as well as actively engaged with her students and obviously passionate about teaching.  In my experience, my favorite teachers have always been the ones who are interactive and animated in their lessons.  As you can tell, Ms. Sotillo is one of these people.

Another reason I found myself resonating with her so much is her story of how she became a teacher.  Ms. Sotillo originally went to college for acting and theatre, and eventually became an English teacher instead when it didn’t work out.  I could relate to that, because I myself love theatre, acting, and performing, but I also love history and ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a teacher.  These conflicting passions have been concerning me about my future since seventh grade, but hearing Ms. Sotillo’s surprisingly similar story made me feel better about myself and realize that teaching is, in a way, a form of performing in itself.  Ms. Sotillo also helped me realize that theatre, history, and teaching can be something you combine into one single passion and get the same benefits from.

Seriously, Ms. Sotillo is so amazing.  She’s one of the most openly tolerant teachers I’ve ever known.  She goes out of her way to make sure students feel safe and accepted in their learning environment.  She’s very patient and allows a lot of chatter in her classes, and somehow still manages to make sure we get all of our work done.  Ms. Sotillo is supportive to every student at every level, providing extra help and time to those who struggle and extensions and critiques for those who excel.

Class is never dull, difficult, or stressful in Ms. Sotillo’s class.  We need more people like her in the world; those who can make a joke in any situation but are also always a support.  Ms. Sotillo’s acceptance, kindness, and friendliness make City High a better place and I’m so lucky I get to call her my teacher.