Teacher Appreciation Week: Gary Glenn

Maya Chadwick, Reporter

There have been many teachers in my school career, but none as influential as my sixth grade teacher Mr. Gary Glenn.

I always felt indifferent about elementary school. It was really easy for me, and I was never challenged in my classes, although there was an Extended Learning Program (ELP) that I was in. I was always bored in my classes, and I really only liked reading time. Every year when I found out who my teacher was going to be, I was never super excited or cared much for who my teacher would be. However, in sixth grade when I found out my teacher would be Mr. Glenn, I was pumped. 

Mr. Glenn began teaching in 1993 and has taught at Grant Wood since 1996, so there are many mixed student opinions about him. Most people didn’t like him because he was scary or strict. Standing at 6’2”, he can be quite intimidating to small elementary kids. On the other hand, many kids praised him for his sense of humor and the fun learning environment he provided.

Mr. Glenn really pushed hard to give me, and other advanced students, the opportunities that we needed and wanted. In sixth grade, I was never bored. In math I understood what was being taught, but I was challenged. I felt like I was actually learning, and I was happy to be learning. Also, Mr. Glenn gave the students certain jobs to do in the classroom. My job was a banker for our classroom currency

It’s impossible for me to pick just one of my favorite sixth grade memories because there was so much from that class that I enjoyed. I really liked how Mr. Glenn “ruled” the classroom. At one point in the year, we had the desks in 2 sections on opposite sides of the class, and there was this open runway type space in the middle. If any of the students walked in that space Mr. Glenn would fine us some really outrageous amount of our class money.

Mr. Glenn was always kind to each and every student, he never discriminated, and he always gave people a chance. However if you tested him he wouldn’t take it. He would constantly tease us, but we all found it hilarious. Mr. Glenn made me happy to go to school, and he made me realize the importance of education.

Thank you, Mr. Glenn for giving me the best 6th grade year I could ask for!