Studio Series Presents: 21 Chump Street

21 Chump Street Rehearsal

Reese Hill, Reporter

Guys and Dolls has finished, but City High Drama still isn’t done preparing performances.  

The Studio Series musical is now rehearsing. It is a student-directed, student-produced show with a small cast of eight actors.  The production is 21 Chump Street, a 15-minute musical written by the increasingly popular actor and composer Lin-Manuel Miranda.

“I hope [21 Chump Street] conveys that anyone can do theatre and if you’re interested then you should try it,” said Lewis Howard ’17, a performer in the show.

Art by Reese Hill

21 Chump Street, directed by senior Jilly Cooke, is based off of an actual event in Florida which happened several years ago.  The drama began when an undercover police officer investigating drug dealers in the school posed as a senior and accidentally caused a high-school boy to fall in love with her — and consequently make several bad decisions.  The musical rendition of course takes a few storytelling liberties.

“I hope this show shows students the dedication that we have,” said Tommy Brands ’19, also a member of the cast. “To put in time after school and to learn a show on our own takes a lot of work and I hope people can appreciate it.”

The eight-student cast is eager to perform their show for City High.  Tickets are $5, and those sold on Friday night serve as a free pass into Film Fest at 7:30.