• Eating Out(side)
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Edie and Zoë
    • Mai and Ryan
    • Olivia, Sidnie, and Tim

Eat Outside the Box

Many students at City High choose to eat outside during the warm months of the year. Maya Durham and Zoë Miller talked to some students about why they choose to do this.

May 22, 2017

As soon as winter turns to spring, City High students flock to the school’s front lawn. Whether it’s to eat, play frisbee, or just hang out, the student body is drawn to the outdoors.

Clara and Devan: Hammocks in the Sun

Maya Durham

Clara Froeschner '18 and Devan O'Rourke '17 sit in a hammock on the front lawn of City High School.

Clara and Devan: Hammocks in the Sun

Clara Froeschner ’18 and Devan O’Rourke ’17 talked to us about sitting in a hammock on the front lawn of City High for their lunch period.

TLH: Why do you choose to eat lunch outside?

DO: The front lawn is super nice. There’s shade where you want it and sun where you want it. You can put a hammock out here too.

TLH: Do you have a usual spot or set up?

CF: We brought frisbees and footballs and stuff and you can chill.

TLH: Do you using eating outside as a way to de-stress?

CF: Absolutely. I probably should be studying for my math test right now but I feel more prepared if I’m less stressed.

Rocio and Bella: A Little Taste of Freedom

Maya Durham

Bella Epstein '19 and Rocio Stejskal '19, among many others, choose to eat outside to get some fresh air during the day.

Rocio Stejskal ’19 and Bella Epstein ’19 talked to us about eating on the front lawn.

RS: It’s a beautiful day and I think being outside helps us forget about school.

BE: It gives you a break from everything that’s going on inside.

RS: It’s a little taste of freedom.

Edie Knoop and Zoë Hopewell: Sit in the Sun

Maya Durham

Zoë Hopewell ’18 and Edie Knoop '18 eat on the front lawn of City High, a common spot for students to relax.

Edie Knoop ’18 and Zoë Hopewell ’18 talked to us about eating on the front lawn and getting out of the classroom for a little bit.

TLH: Why do you choose to eat outside?

EK: It’s really beautiful and I’m not sure beautiful and nice are words I would use to describe the cafeteria.

ZH: It makes your day better when you can come be in nature. You get to go outside, you’re not cooped up all day.

TLH: Do think eating outside is a nice way to destress?

EK: It’s really relaxing and it makes you feel a little freer. It feels healthy just to sit in the sun for fifteen minutes.

Ryan Carter and Mai Hoang: A Place to Escape

Maya Durham

Mai Hoang '19, Oriana Ross '19, and Ryan Carter '20 enjoy a meal and conversation outside of Opstad Auditorium.

Ryan Carter ’20 and Mai Hoang ’19 sat down on the front lawn with the Little Hawk to talk about their lunch and why they eat it outside.

TLH: Why do you choose to eat outside?

RC: It’s way nicer. The lunch room’s disgusting.

MH: It’s nice to have a place you know you can come since you’re inside all day.

Maya Durham

Olivia Lusala '19 and Tim Traina '17 talk at a picnic table behind the art rooms.

Sidnie McKillip ’19, Olivia Lusala ’19, and Tim Traina ’17 eat outside the art rooms every day. They spoke to us about why they do.

TLH: Why do you choose to eat outside?

SM: The lunchroom  is scary and dirty, yeah plus nature is nice

TT: I can’t really hold a conversation inside the lunchroom because everyone is talking at the same time. Also I would rather hear birds and feel sunlight than artificial air conditioning. There are some weird vibes [in the lunchroom].