Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Lizzi Ayers, Reporter

The Guardians of the Galaxy returned for a second adventure on May 5th, with new friends and new enemies. With more members, more action and more Baby Groot, the newest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe brings

First, Baby Groot was definitely a high point for this movie, and perfectly captured the spirit of a two-year-old. In the first Guardians movie, Groot was the biggest and scariest, now he’s the smallest and cutest. When Yondu and Rocket ask him to go get the “prototype fin,” it takes a long time before Groot is actually able to find it. Before retrieving the fin, he brings back a desk, a space creature, and a severed toe, much to his companions’ dismay. As if Baby Groot wasn’t funny enough, after the credits, there is a short scene where we see Teenage Groot playing a videogame in his messy room and mimicking Star Lord.

Also along for the ride is Gamora’s sister and childhood rival, Nebula, who is out for revenge. For most of the movie, she is against the Guardians, but eventually she and Gamora make up and Nebula leaves to seek revenge on her father, Thanos.

Speaking of Peter’s dad, his character was one thing that lost the movie some points. Ego, as he calls himself, says that he is a “Celestial,” a being more powerful than any other. His lifeforce is stored and controlled by the planet he created when he first came into being (creatively named “Ego’s Planet”) and, as shown in the finale, he can control both “the power of the light” and any other matter. The vagueness of his powers made Ego’s character feel a bit forced, and could have been done way better.

Along with Ego, the movie also brings a newcomer to the team: Mantis. Played by Pom Klementieff, Mantis is an insect-like empath who can feel and control the emotions of others. She is also very socially awkward, having grown up with only Ego for company, and the other Guardians (especially Drax) make fun of her for it. However, they do appreciate her help. In the final fight, she helps the other Guardians by putting Ego to sleep so they can destroy his lifeforce.

Overall, the movie was 3.5 stars. The new characters, like Mantis and Ego, could have been way more developed and interesting, but the majority of the movie was fun and exciting. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 is definitely a must-see for any Marvel fan, even if it’s not the best Marvel movie.