City v. Waterloo West: The First Battle On Bates Field

Captains Matt Lee, Amos Lavela, DeAirius Salibi, and Tyler Hill jog to the coin toss in the UNI Dome. Photo by Ryan Young.

GAME INFO:
WHERE:  Bates Field
WHEN:  5:30 p.m. sophomore game with varsity to follow
THEME:  USA
COST: $5

After a week one loss to the Cedar Falls Tigers in the UNI Dome, the Little Hawks will look to rebound versus the Wahawks of Waterloo West with the return of Amos Lavela and Xavier Washpun.

Waterloo West has lost fourteen games in a row.Last week Waterloo West almost pulled off an overtime victory versus Dubuque Senior.
“We need to focus more and have less turnovers, that was the killer last game,”Kris Kindl ‘13, a lineman, said . “Besides that we were really physical and did what we were supposed to do.”
The Little Hawks committed six turnovers against Cedar Falls. City High was also plagued by injuries in week one. Linebacker Eric Kenney 13’ partially tore his LCL, Amos Lavela 13’ was kept out for most of the game with a possible head injury, and Xavier Washpun 14’ also suffered a shoulder injury. Lavela and Washpun should be back this week.
The game begins at 7:15 on Bates Field at City High. The theme is USA, bring your friends and cheer on your Little Hawks!