Henry Thein
Henry Thein
Reporter

Girls Basketball Substate Preview: Clinton

Aliyah Gustafson ’13 grabs a rebound while Haley Lorenzen ’14 (left) and Mickey Hansche ’13 (right) look on in the regular season game against Iowa City West. Photo by Ryan Young

WHAT: City High vs. Clinton

WHERE: City High main gym

WHEN: 7:00 pm

THEME: Red Out

COST: $6 – NO PASSES ACCEPTED

Aliyah Gustafson '13 grabs a rebound while Haley Lorenzen '14 (left) and Mickey Hansche '13 (right) look on in the regular season game against Iowa City West. Photo by Ryan Young

Winning a championship is every competitors dream, whether they are a professional athlete or even a highschool student. The girls on the No. 1 ranked girls basketball team are starting their journey to Wells Fargo Arena tonight.
The Little Hawks will host Clinton tonight at 7pm in the second round of their substate bracket. They received the No. 1 seed, and a first round bye in their regionals.
“Right now, our biggest focus is improving our defense,” Mickey Hansche ‘13 said. “We just want to take it one game at a time.”
Clinton, a MAC conference school, finished the regular season with a record of 5-16. The River Kings also received a first round bye in the regional tournament.
The Little Hawks are entering the postseason with a 12 game win streak, and only lost two games the entire regular season. If the girls make it past the second round, they will head to Cedar Rapids Prairie for the regional finals to take on the winner of Iowa City West/Bettendorf.
“Our overall goal is to make it back and win the whole thing,” Hansche said. “I think that it’s very achievable as long as we stay focused and play to our ability.”