Upcoming Pancake Breakfast at West High

By: Claire Rutherford

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: ICCSD Booster Club Pancake Breakfast

WHERE: Iowa City West High School

WHEN: Saturday, April 13th — 6:30 am – 6:30 pm 

IC_Athletic_BC_logo_color[1]
For the past 48 years, this fundraiser raises enough money to support thousands of the junior high and high school student-athletes in the district through good, old pancakes. ICCSD Pancake Day raised over $37,000 and used over 875 pounds of batter last year. This year, their goal is to raise over $42,000 and use 900 pounds of batter.

“I probably have known people and attended things for them for 10 or 12 years.” Iowa City resident Sue Dulek said.

The ICCSD is having its annual pancake breakfast again at West High this Saturday, April 13 from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm. The Iowa City Booster Club estimates that approximately 4,000 to 4,600 people will come through the pancake line this year, which is being staffed by over 200 volunteers. The booster club has helped raise money for scoreboards, weights, video equipment, fencing, uniforms, equipment, and facility improvements with help from this fundraiser.

There are also raffles going on to win coupons and many other things and Pancake Day. “We have about 30 raffle items this year,” Andy Craig, President of the Little Hawks Club said. “In fact, one of them is for a condo for a week.”

The fundraiser brings in local musicians and martial arts clubs to come and perform throughout the day. This year, they are even having a fencing club performing, so this will definitely not be your normal Saturday morning pancakes. The ICCSD Booster Club has got it covered making sure to appeal all of Iowa City’s tastes.

Extra ways to help are to provide a cash donation – which is tax deductible – donate food or supplies, or provide an item for the raffle. The contributors are recognized in four different levels: Champion, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. For the Champion contributors have to donate 500 dollars or more and you would receive a radio, individual poster, 8 free breakfast tickets, and table-tent recognition at the Pancake Breakfast.

Peoples’ donations are very important because they give students in the district a chance to do sport without any fees, but if making a donation isn’t up your alley, just come to the event. Tickets are five dollars for all-you-can-eat pancakes, sausages, and local music.

“Pancake Day is really important because we need new uniforms for soccer next year because the rules are changing,” said Rachel Gralnek of ‘16. “This is the biggest fundraiser that we get money from.”