ICCSD Powerschool Under Attack

ICCSD+Powerschool+Under+Attack+

Early this year Iowa City’s Powerschool was attacked and brought offline. This was the result of an intentional denial of service attack and the FBI has been brought in to investigate.

“These kinds of activities require a certain degree of technology and specialization,” John Bacon the principal of City High school said. “So that is why they were brought in.”

This attack has been going on for a few months but in april it increased in severity to the point where powerschool was impossible to access while not connected to the Iccsd network.

“Some parents have had to come on campus to check the site.” Bacon said. “It’s a concern for parents and families trying to find out where things stand.”

So far the FBI doesn’t have any leads that they will release. David Dude, Chief Operations Officer and Chief Technology Officer at ICCSD would not give any information besides the nature of the attack on the current situation. According to officials the damage of the attack was only preventing it from being accessed.

“I can tell you that this really wasn’t a “hack” in that no confidential information was accessed or compromised,” Mike Haverkamp, a staff development officer at the ICCSD tech office, said.

Whoever is behind this attack has been asked to come forward as soon as possible to avoid worse consequences.

“If any student out there has anything to do with this,” Bacon said. “Things are always better when someone is able to take responsibility and start to make things better.”