Powder-Puff Football Returns to City High

Powderpuff football from 2013.

Leah Hoelscher, Copy Editor

Last night kicked off the first powder-puff football games Iowa City City High has seen in over 10 years.

“Ever since I’ve come here the topic of bringing back powder-puff has come up, and the concern has been how it has gone in the past, people getting way too rough or ganging up on somebody and other negative things, but the bottom line is, I had faith in the City High Little Hawks, I knew we could pull this off.” Principal John Bacon said.

After the annual Homecoming parade, two senior teams and two junior teams competed for the title of Powder-puff Champion 2013.

City High administration was all for reinstating powder-puff football.

“I always thought we needed something for people to do after the parade, and powderpuff football was a great way to cap off the evening.” Terry Coleman, City High’s Athletic Director said.

The first two games were between a senior team and a junior team. Senior team Mitchell’s Blueberries versed junior team Vicious n’ Delicious, while senior team Dream Killers challenged junior She Unit. Dream Killers won 13-6, while the Blueberries lost 16-0 to Vicious n’ Delicious.

Two games were played simultaneously, on either half of Bates Field. Each game was 20 minutes long, with 4 downs to advance 15 yards, and another 4 yards to get into the endzone. After a touchdown the offensive team had another chance to score for an extra one or two points, from the five and ten yard lines respectively.

In the championship game between Dream Killers and Vicious n’ Delicious, juniors dominated to win 22-12. In the consolation game Mitchell’s Blueberries lost to She Unit 20-0.

She Unit had standouts Cora Bern-Klug, Peyton Evans and Gracie Steve (‘15) who all made touchdowns. Becca Meyer ‘15 as quarterback and Riley Price ‘15 worked together to advance the team.

Key players on Mitchell’s Blueberries were Kelly Sabers, Riley Clark and Olabisi Kovabel (‘14) who all rotated positions. Micah Cabbage and Madi Hauge (both ‘14) played quarterback.

Dream Killers had many athletic players with Ruth Grace as quarterback, Haley Lorenzen, Michaela Nelson, Allison Fleming and Leah Hoelscher (‘14) playing receivers. Kiera Washpun ‘14 played running back for the team.

Championship team Vicious n’ Delicious stood out with twins Samantha and Sarah Blowers and Sarah Plock (15’) running a majority of the yards for the team. Quarterback was Lillie Christophersen.

Senior and junior boys on City High’s football team volunteered to coach the teams and be “waterboys,” while coaches of the football team refereed the games.

Many people came to watch this long awaited tradition to start back up, and stood at the front of the bleachers to cheer for their team.

“We had beautiful weather, the event was well organized and ran smoothly, we had a big crowd on hand. I was impressed by how many parents actually showed up to watch, we had close to a couple hundred people in the stands.” Bacon said.

The girls participating in powder-puff football designed their own shirts, organized their own practices, and learned their plays as a real football team would.

Because there was sportsmanship and no violence or injuries occurring at the games, Bacon is hopeful that powder-puff football will return to City High School after the homecoming parade in 2014.

“It was an extremely successful and hopefully first annual powder-puff football game.” Bacon said.