City Now Ranked 8th after Beating West 14-7 to Bring Home the Boot

After City defeated West 14-7 players and students stormed the field. Photo by Kierra Zapf
After City defeated West 14-7 players and students stormed the field.  Photo by Kierra Zapf

After West High quarterback Nate Boland’s pass was knocked down by a City High defender, the student section erupted with screams of celebration. In the following minutes, students poured onto Bates Field to congratulate the Little Hawks on their 14-7 win over West High Friday Night. This low scoring victory in “The Battle of the Boot” came just one year after City was shut out 44-0 by the Trojans and losing the boot for the first time in seven years.

With Friday night’s win, the Little Hawks secured a conference title and moved up to No. 8 in the Cedar Rapids Gazette high school football rankings. For the seniors, this win feels especially good after the outcome of last season.

“It’s one of the happiest moments in my athletic career,” Jake Leohr ’14 said. “It’s overwhelming, since the last game of last year we’ve put in so much hard work. For us to come out and win the boot back, it’s all you can ask for.”

The Little Hawks will face Linn Mar this Friday for the final regular season home game and senior night. The game will begin at approximately 7:15 PM and the theme is Camo Night.

PHOTOS BY KIERRA ZAPF

INTERVIEWS BY MICAH CABBAGE

Interview with Mitch Wieland from Little Hawk on Vimeo.

Interview Jake Leohr from Little Hawk on Vimeo.

Interview with Drew Cornwell from Little Hawk on Vimeo.

Interview with Mack Stolley from Little Hawk on Vimeo.

Interview with Cory Lindsey from Little Hawk on Vimeo.