Henry Thein
Henry Thein
Reporter

Winter Show Set for Saturday the 14th with Performances by Will Barker, Calvin Windschitl, Micah Cabbage, Elena Foster, and Amy Ostrem

The Winter Show for the 2013 year will be held Saturday, Dec. 14, in Opstad Auditorium at 3:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M. The cost for students will be $5 and adults $8. The program will feature performances from 4th Ave. Jazz and City Lights choirs, special acts by City High Students will perform in between each of 4th Ave. Jazz’s songs.

PREVIEW OF THE SPECIAL ACTS

Will Barker ‘15, Calvin Windschitl ‘14, James Thompson

A group of three tenors, Will Barker ‘15, Calvin Windschitl ‘14, and assistant choir director James Thompson, will be performing “Teach Your Children,” by Crosby, Stills, and Nash, a folk rock group formed in the 1970s. “Its a good song,” Barker said, “ its about how kids see older people.” The song is written for three tenors who sing while also playing the guitar. “It will be a good time,” Windschitl said, who has never played guitar in front of a crowd before. When asked about never having played guitar in front of a crowd before, Windschitl voiced no concerns. “The only thing I am worried about in the the performance is if I forget the words to the song. I am not nervous about playing.”

Thompson knows both boys will be fine during the performance. “They’re both great singers.” Thompson said, “ I’m sure they will both have fun.” Both students have taken voice lessons from Thompson in the past and agree that he is a great teacher. “ He’s a great musician and guitarist.” Barker said. “It’s really fun to perform with him.” The song focuses on three part harmony between the group. “The song seems complicated”, Barker said. “Its actually really simple and that’s why it will be great to perform.”

Micah Cabbage ‘14 Elena Foster ‘14

Elena Foster ‘14, and Micah Cabbage ‘14 are taking a break from the usual Christmas carols this year by singing “New York State of Mind” by Billy Joel for Saturday night. “We like it,” Elena Foster said. “Everyone else is doing Christmas carols so it should be a break for the audience.” The song is about how Billy Joel is heading to New York for vacation and to get away from everyday life. “Its more about taking a break from reality than just vacations”, Micah Cabbage, said about her opinion on the song. The duo have practiced the song for the past two weeks and were able to impress choir director Jim Berry. The girls know the audience will also find the song entertaining. “We’ve put our own spin on the song,” Cabbage said. “ It will be very different than your average Billy Joel song. “ When asked what they needed to focus on Foster said, “Its a very soulful song, we need to know what’s going on. We’ve got to get into it.”

Amy Ostrem ‘14

Amy Ostrem ‘14 will be singing the jazzy Christmas carol “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” with piano in the background played by Jarrett Purdy ‘14. “After not doing something more holiday themed last year, I wanted to try something new this year,” Ostrem said. “I also wanted to do something that both Jarrett and I can do.” Ostrem states that she thinks the Winter Show will go well this year, with many people singing season-themed songs. “ I think its nice that people are performing holiday songs,” Ostrem said. “ I think the audience wants to hear more of those songs.” Amy says the Winter Show is going to be very big this year saying that everyone has stepped up. “Its on track to be a great year, starting with this show.” Amy says she is confident for her performance especially with Jarrett on the piano. “ I could care less about myself because I have Jared, he’s a fantastic pianist.” Ostrem thinks her performance will appeal to the audience. “ I just want them to have the best time of year.”