Football Preview: City High prepares for Cedar Rapids Washington with video interview of SUPERFAN

City High Prepares for Washington
By Will Benson

On Sept. 30, the Little Hawks travel to Cedar Rapids Washington to face a very athletic and explosive side. The biggest threat City must contain is senior RB Alex Carr, a 5’9’’ running back who runs a 4.4 40m.

“We know they have an athlete at running back,” senior OL Nick Beckman said. “Our outside play makers will need to stop Carr from breaking big plays on us.”

This weeks game plan focuses on bottling up Washington’s star, but the Little Hawks have been working nonstop for the past 6 months. With the vast majority of Iowa City sleeping and relaxing in the early hours of the hot summer days, Coach Dan Saber’s troops would be found in and around the weight room, preparing for another championship run.

“Stronger, more physical,” Beckman said.

The team worked long hours through the summer on strength and conditioning to be ready for a second banner season.

“We have become a complete unit, challenging each other throughout the summer to repeat last year’s success.”

These preseason preparations have began to pay dividends, as the physical City High Front-Line & Co. have powered to a 5-0 start, with impressive wins over rivals West High, and last second thriller with Cedar Rapids Xavier.

With the unveiling of the renovated stadium, fans flocked to Bates Field, ready to watch the new look Little Hawk offense under senior QB Andrew McNulty.

“I’ve been coming to these games for years now, this is my 11th straight homecoming,” local legend Dan Fracassini said.

“Super Fan”, as he is commonly known, is a long-time devoted Little Hawk athletic supporter and doesn’t miss a game.

“I knew this was going to be McNulty’s year. He’s got experience from last year, and

I’m not suprised he’s off to such a great start,” Fracassini said.
The Little Hawk attack is led by a veteran front line, with 5 seniors starting. Two returning starters, Beckman and Dan Minchk, anchor the squad, and provide key leadership.

“We knew we had a lot of experience and depth, so it was our job to lead the team,”

Beckman said.
“Our smash-mouth style offense seperates us from all other teams in the state, and it allows us to keep the defense on their toes when we use play-action.”