Rito Perez
Rito Perez
Reporter

UAY Attaches Youth to the Community

The hangout room at UAY is where teenagers can hang out, play video games, strum guitars, play foosball and spend time with friends.

CLICK HERE FOR UAY’s WEB SITE

Teenagers have always struggled  with becoming connected to their community, which United Action for Youth has taken as a challenge. UAY has a youth center that provides band shows, art galleries, and Summer camps. These are aimed to help teens influence and effect the community in positive ways.

“[Teenagers] can learn how to play instruments, record a song, join a group, or use our art studio,” Prevention Specialist Kylie Buddin said. “Alternatively, they can come in and simply relax in a respectful environment.”

In addition to relaxing at UAY, large events are also held around once a month and bring in approximately 20-40 people on average, including art galleries and band shows.

The smaller events include writing and art workshops, disc golf trips, and movie nights. UAY also hosts weekly groups including the Image Alive improvisational acting group, the Rhinestone Cowgirls (an all girls group which talks about teen issues), and the GLBTQA (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Question and Answer) group. These groups are open to everyone between ages 12-18, help teens get connected to the community and get their music or art into society.

Mickey Hampton, the arts coordinator of UAY, directs the Image Alive improvisation group.

“I think that the arts offer a really great way of expressing yourself and contributing to your community in a way that is creative and heartfelt.” Hampton said. “People get a chance to be creative and be with creative people. They learn life skills that will help them no matter what they go on to do.”

One of the unique things about UAY is the amount of expertise on hand in the youth center.

“I think the fact that we have artists and musicians on staff is very unique.” Hampton said. “It’s not like people are coming and doing art workshops with just Popsicle sticks.”

In addition, UAY helps high schoolers get their art into the community directly through both art galleries and band shows. Seanna Feijo, ‘13 recently performed for in her band in support of  UAY for the first time.

“With UAY, they [the staff] try to get everyone involved in the art galleries and band shows.” Feijo said. “It’s nature for people to say no, but UAY will always say yes.”