Bender on to State

There’s a silver lining to the sudden end of the City High Boys Cross Country season.

Bender on to State

After last Thursday’s district meet, all but one runner ended their season. The City High boys came into the meet seeded fourth and left the meet placing fifth. Although the rest of the team did not qualify for the State Cross Country meet, Joel Bender 15’ will be representing City High on November 1st in Fort Dodge after an 8th place finish at the district meet.

“It’s definitely going to be different without my teammates with me at state. It will be very weird. I don’t know how I feel about it yet.” Bender said.

Even though Bender will be without his team, he will try to keep his focus at State.

“My main goal for state is to run under 16 minutes and to just do the best that I can,” Bender said.

The Varsity boys didn’t finish the season how they hoped, however, the JV runners ended their season on a high note. The boys were MVC divisional champions. Leading the junior varsity squad was Lucas Froeschner 15’, who won the race on Thursday, October 16th. After putting in hard work over the summer, Froeschner’s success showed during his races.

“I really enjoyed going from not so great freshman through junior years and summer running paying off that much for me,” Froeschner said. “I have nothing but respect for the varsity guys who ran this year, although some had ups and downs with times.”

Cross country has meant much more than just miles under feet for Froeschner, though.

“Cross country has affected my life in so many ways,” Froeschner explained. “I had a huge struggle last year getting through depression and it got very serious, but the team and running in general helped save my life and get me on my feet. I love it with all my heart and would do it a thousand times over if I could.”

Running has affected Froeschner in many positive ways. He describes cross country as a great influence on his life.

“The most important thing to do while you’re running is just to remember how much you are accomplishing with every step,” Froeschner said. “Remembering that you are representing your school, team, and family by racing a 3.1 mile race and in practice every day. I cannot stress how beneficial running is to a person, and no matter how little you run, you are lapping everyone on the couch.”

Joel Bender '15

Cora Bern-Klug
Joel Bender ’15

About the Photographer
Cora Bern-Klug, Design Editor

Hello I am Cora Bern-Klug...lead designer. Best person ever...future president...current president. Lover of Kierra Zapf....it's all in the name.

"Be...