Henry Thein
Henry Thein
Reporter

Taking it to the pool

Senior Kanoe Russell shoots into the water starting off the 200 freestyle relay

By Colin McAllister

2.5.10

The pool is quiet in anticipation as the meet is about to start.Faintly heard from the locker room is the muffled beat of music.
The door is opened as the City High men’s swim team walks out with their newly acquired boombox playing D.A.N.C.E. by Justice. They walk past Cedar Rapids Washington, a rival that is about equal in speed and numbers as City High. City went on to defeat Washington by fifteen points.
“I think we’ve done well this season. Everyone swam where they should so far. If everyone rests well, we should do great at state,” said coach John Burkle.
The team has twenty-seven swimmers, plenty more compared to last year’s turnout. The larger number of swimmers equals more points at meets, which means higher places.
The varsity team, composed of Kanoe Russell, Carl Arhendt, Cameron Herting, Colin McAllister, Ben Weideman, James Davis, Sid McMillin, Stu McMilian, Kelly McNeilly, Julien Recher, Judd Hayes and Brady St. John have led the team to victory at most duels and invites.
Junior Cameron Herting will be facing off senior Garret Moses from Cedar Falls High School for first place in the five-hundred freestyle.
After winning last year’s five-hundred, Cameron is looking to get his second title.
“I feel like it will be a lot tougher race than last year,” he said, “But it will be more fun.”
The team’s goal is to get in the top five at the state meet.
“We’re gonna do awesome, everyone will try hard, and we should get in the top five at state,” said senior Kanoe Russell.
James Davis, Cameron Herting, Sid McMillin, Kanoe Russell, Colin McAllister, and Ben Weideman all are ranked to get on the podium at the meet.
To get to state, the swimmers will compete at Districts this weekend. To qualify for state, swimmers need to place in the top twenty-four over all of the divisional meets.
“We will do well, everyone is looking strong, and we will be ready to take it out strong and get a top five,” says Coach John Burkle.

$1800
$5000