City High Grad Turned Iowa City Mayor – Matt Hayek

City High students can accomplish anything. While many are profound thinkers, professional athletes and high paid executives, few have the opportunity to have a major role of leadership in their hometown as Matt Hayek does.

Unanimously elected as mayor on Saturday January 2, Hayek replaced former mayor Regenia Bailey. He spoke of the process of being elected.

“I got the nod.”

Hayek will be the mayor at large until January 2, 2012. He has plenty of leadership experience as he was a former chairperson of the Iowa City Housing and Community Development Commission, former chairperson of the Iowa City Scattered Site Housing Taskforce and the former president of the Englert Theatre board of directors, to name a few.

Hayek graduated from City in 1988 and was a member of The Little Hawk staff as managing editor. Hayek still harbors affectionate feelings towards The Little Hawk.

“It was and is a great newspaper.”

Noteworthy journalism stories include advocating for a school code change that would eventually get passed and covering a presidential debate in Des Moines.

“Student journalism is among the best extracurricular activities a high schooler can get into”.

Many high school students are busy and involved in multiple extracurricular activities while at the same time performing and maintaining their scholarly duties. While not everyone appreciates the things high schoolers participate and achieve in, Hayek encourages students to further broaden their horizons.

“Collect all the diverse experiences you can. Learn about opportunities that help you decide what you want to do with your life.”

Hayek is also familiar with other types of leadership. He now co-owns his law practice; Hayek, Brown, Moreland & Smith, L.L.P. after working at law firms in Atlanta and Chicago. Now an attorney for 13 years, it is just “his day job” as he is a father of 2 young children and a husband.

Following his graduation from City and getting his BA from the University of Michigan in 1992, Hayek became a United States Peace Corps volunteer in Bolivia from 1992-994.

“It, (Bolivia), changed my life. It was the most incredible experience I’ve ever had.”

Few go through the challenge of helping an extremely impoverished country install and provide clean drinking water in poor, isolated regions.

“We went way up into the mountains and really remote places. The contrast between that and studying for finals in college was incredible. I was exposed to extreme poverty and really harsh conditions.”

Hayek continually encourages students to do things throughout their schooling and lives to help shape their futures.

“Every chance you get to experience something, you learn what the possibilities are.”

Keeping an open mind and jumping at an opportunity are things he says students should relish. Listening to the people who push you to your best and encourage you to try new things could be the ones that have the most impact in your life.

“Jack Kennedy, (former Little Hawk adviser), he pushed us so hard and made us think and that inspired us. By treating us like adults and expecting us to push ourselves, combined with a sense of belief in our ability to do great things he gave a lot and expected a lot.”

From City High grad, Matt Hayek we can learn that what you begin to imagine as a career doesn’t always happen. We should take chances and be aware of the things in the world.

“It takes a sense of adventure. It’s too easy to close your eyes to everything that’s out there.”