Boys Scrimmage Regina

The City High Boys Soccer team looks to make a run for the state title this year.

Cora Bern-Klug

Team huddles before the game.

Jonathan House, Reporter

The City High Boys Soccer team looks to make a run for the state title after a successful season last year, in which the team looks to build off of their state tournament bid last season.

“Our goal is to win state and make history for our school,” Coach Jose Fajardo said.

The team will have some new talent, with four freshman joining varsity this year.

“All the freshman have really stepped up during training which is a good sign. I think that their ability to give good minutes to the game will be important,” captain Scott Tribbey ‘15 said.

The Little Hawks also return their two leading goal scorers from last year in Scott Tribbey ‘15 and Adam Nicholson ‘15, both team captains.

“[Our] biggest strengths are definitely our defense, and the depth of our bench. We have a lot of players who can play a lot of positions,” Tribbey said.

The team will also have to replace some other good players, such as Alejandro Pacheco, Omar Shaban, and Roman Doyle. The team will have to address some weaknesses, and improve if they want to win state.

“I think the team’s biggest weaknesses will be adapting to good teams and being able to finish games early, we left a lot of teams last year with close scores so they were able to linger,” Tribbey said.

Their first game is a scrimmage against Regina on Saturday, March 28 at City High. Their first real games are on April 4th in Muscatine, the opponents are still to be determined.