Little Hawks Defeat Linn-Mar

The Little Hawks will play at Pleasant Valley on Monday night at 7 P.M.

Jared+Taylor+17+throws+a+pass+in+the+first+half+at+Bates+Field+in+the+first+round+playoff+game+against+Linn-Mar.+

Joseph Cress

Jared Taylor ’17 throws a pass in the first half at Bates Field in the first round playoff game against Linn-Mar.

Jonathan House, Sports Editor

On a chilly night at Bates Field, the Little Hawks defeated the Linn-Mar Lions in the first round of the Iowa High School Athletic Association Playoffs at Bates Field on Wednesday night by a final score of 26-16. It was City High’s first playoff appearance-and win-since the 2013 season, after a 2-7 season last year.

“I’m excited for our seniors, really feel good about them, to be 0-2, I talked to them [after that game] about how that wasn’t going to define who we are as a team. They bought into that, and I’m really proud of where we are at,” City High coach Dan Sabers said after the game.

The Little Hawks all but iced it when Jordain Buckland ’17 recovered a Linn-Mar fumble at City High’s four yard line late in the game.

“They are more of an offensive team, always have been, and keeping them down to what they did, I feel okay about,” Sabers said of his team’s defense.

City High got off to a quick start, after scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter. For the first score, Bryce Frantz ’17 ran it in for the game’s first touchdown with about half-way through the first quarter. Later in the quarter, Erick Fletcher ’16 scored the Little Hawks’ second touchdown to make it 13-0.

Linn-Mar responded with a 25 yard field goal in the second quarter. The Lions would add another touchdown that made it only a three point game at halftime.

After giving up ten unanswered, the Little Hawks responded with a 62 yard drive to start the second half. Jason Jones ’16 had a big kick return to get the drive started. It was capped of by the Little Hawks scoring on a Bryce Frantz touchdown run, his second of the game.

Following a few scoreless possessions, Jared Taylor ’17 threw it up to his top target, Jason Jones, who came down with it in double coverage and walked in untouched for another City High touchdown. City High missed its second extra point following a bobbled snap.

City High’s defense took control late in the fourth quarter. The Lions had second and goal, and threw three straight incompletions to turn it over on downs. City didn’t do much on its next possession offensively. Jared Taylor shanked the punt for only eight yards, giving Linn-Mar the ball back deep in City High territory. The Little Hawks responded with the Buckland fumble recovery.

Linn-Mar scored one more touchdown with under a minute to play to make it a ten point game. Following the missed two point-conversion by the Lions, the Little Hawks recovered their onside kick to secure the win.

The Little Hawks will continue their season on Monday night at Pleasant Valley. The winner of that game will have to play one more game before advancing to the state tournament in Cedar Falls.