City High Flies French Flag in Support

City High Flies French Flag in Support

City High flies the French flag Monday morning to show support after the attacks abroad.

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

Joseph Cress

George Volk approached French teacher Tony Balcaen early in the morning about flying a French flag at City High.

“I think it’s touching. Obama said that France is the oldest friend of America. I’ve kept [my teaching] open if students wanted to talk about it, and some students did.”

— Tony Balcean

“I think it’s touching. Obama said that France is the oldest friend of America. I’ve kept [my teaching] open if students wanted to talk about it, and some students did,” Balcaen, who was raised in France, said.  “In my AP class we talked about it and others just wanted to make sure my family was okay or if my friends were okay.  So I leave it open if they wanted to talk about it.”

The attacks have evoked a great deal of emotion in the last few days from Balcean.

“I’m enraged, I know it’s not good.  But I’m surprised also because it’s the second attack in less than a year. This kind of thing doesn’t happen to France very often, but I’m mostly infuriated,” Balcean said.

This is a developing story.  Check back for more updates.