Jack Rogers
Jack Rogers
Sports Co-Editor

Boys Soccer To Face Clinton/Davenport Central

Tyler Chavez ’12 collides with a Cedar Rapids Kennedy player on April 30th. Photo by Sam Buatti

by Michael Hunter

Midfielder Tyler Chavez ‘12 has looked forward to this season since last years state championship defeat from Iowa City West.

Tyler Chavez '12 collides with a Cedar Rapids Kennedy player on April 30th. Photo by Sam Buatti

“After the state finals we knew we could do a lot better next year.” Chavez said. “We weren’t losing a lot of seniors, and we had good underclassmen and solid juniors for this season.”

That experience has led them to a 14-2 regular season and a Mississippi Division Title last week.

They defeated Cedar Rapids Washington 2-1 for the title. JD McCullough ’11 and Fernando Pacheco’s ‘13 first half goals secured the victory.

“The strongest part of our team is our defense, it is really solid.” said Chavez. “Our offensive game has really been picking up.”

The Little Hawk attack has totaled 50 goals this season, 16 coming from McCullough and eight from Pacheco.

“Our offense has been coming together.” McCullough said.

They finished the regular season with victories over Dubuque Wahlert (3-1) and Cedar Rapids Jefferson (6-1), guaranteeing a first round sub state bye and a semifinal with home field advantage.

“Jose has been telling us to take one game at a time.” Chavez said. ”Also, not to take any team lightly.”

They will face the winner of Clinton and Davenport Central in the sub state semi-finals on May 25th.

“Hate it or love it, under dogs come out on top.” Chavez said.