LH Top Ten Fall Escapes

From orchards to corn mazes to zombie paintball the Iowa City area has great mixes of autumn fun.

Cluster+of+pumpkins+ready+to+be+sold+at+the+local+market.+

Cluster of pumpkins ready to be sold at the local market.

Courtney Hoang, Reporter

With tones of crimson, orange and yellow starting to shine on the 22nd of September, there is no limit to what can be done do during the autumn equinox.

Top Ten Fall Escapes:

1. Picking at a Local Orchard

Lucky for the Iowa City area, we are able to go Wilson’s Orchard without driving the extra mile. Wilson’s is already prepared with fun events and tours. Apple and pumpkin picking is available if these events do not fit in range.

1. Getting Lost in a Corn Maze

Corn mazes at night can be quite frightening, but the amount of fun is endless. Colony Pumpkin Patch is providing corn maze fun starting September 17th through October 29th on Friday and Saturday at dark till 10. Kroul Farms also will be providing corn mazes scares, pumpkins for sale and wood for fall escape seven.

1. Zombie Paintball Hayrides?

Sure, spending time on a normal haunted hayride can be fun, but spending time shooting paintballs at zombies, while on a hayride is a whole new level! A new event not to be missed by Colony Pumpkin Patch as well.  

1. Hot-air Balloon Rides

Since humans do not have wings, being on a hot-air balloon gives us a chance to be high in the sky. Z-Balloon Adventures located in the Des Moines-Indianola area to take a trip into the Earth’s sky.

1. Pumpkin Carving and Eating 

After picking up a pumpkin from the orchard or whether it be from the supermarket, all things pumpkins come into mind. Carving scary, silly, faces or drawings into pumpkins is a first choice. However, alternatives such as making pumpkin pie or roasting pumpkin seeds is another choice anyone can enjoy.

Visit the Food Network for a recipe of roasted pumpkin seeds.

1. Football Games

High school football games are not the only event to the incoming weekend. College football and tailgating takes place outside the heart of downtown within the months of September, October and November. With limited seats in the stadium, the University of Iowa allows us to buy our tickets online and pick our section of seats to our preference.

7. Bonfires

Gathering around the red flame calls for a bit of classic s’more-making. All that is needed includes a large pit, twigs and various leaves, stones and the sweet combination of chocolate, marshmallows, and crackers.

1. Scary Movie Nights

If the feeling of staying indoors all day is strong, then doing just that while inviting some best pals over for a terrifying night is a start. Some new releases currently in theatres including a trailer are: Blair Witch, Don’t Breathe, and When the Bough Breaks.

1. Haunted Houses

Adding on to the list of haunted things, Scream Acres presents new attractions opening up in October 2016. In addition to the renovations of The Slaughterhouse and Carnival Chaos, Cell Block Z, a new attraction that involves escaping out of a cell filled with zombies is coming soon in early October.

1.  DIY Pumpkin Spiced Lattes! (thekitchn.com)

Pumpkin, spice and all things nice! The correlation between autumn and this latte drink is nothing more than fiery spice. A recipe from thekitchn.com, gives us a way to create a unique twist on this Starbucks drink.