Students work to aid crisis center through food drive efforts

Emmeline Kraus, Reporter

Although the weather is cold and harsh, students have still been volunteering at the Hyvee can food drives. Natalie Holmes ‘17, chair member of the can drive committee in Student Senate, and has been planning the event.

“I was put in charge because I have gone to the event for four years,” Holmes said.

She has been working with the local Hyvees to set up booths and make sure students can volunteer.  Students are volunteering at the North Dodge and first avenue Hy-Vee on the 3rd, 10th, and 17th of December.

“[Volunteers] will be handing out slips of donatable items to customers as they enter Hy-Vee,” explained Holmes.

Customers can donate nonperishable items, hygiene products, and diapers. Students of City High can also donate items within the school. Four boxes are located in the main foyer, separated by class, to form a competition within the school to promote donations.

“In the past, we got over a ton [weight] of the amount of food,” said Holmes.

Both the weight of the food and the monetary donation are added together. A dollar equals four pounds of food for the Crisis Center.

Every year, West also hosts a similar event.

“There is a competition between City and West high about which school can collect the most cans,” explained Lucy Wagner ‘17, Senior Class President.

All collected food goes to the Crisis Center, a local organization food bank.

“The Crisis Center is a wonderful organization which does a good job providing families with food,” said Wagner. “More donations would allow families to have a higher allowance of food.”

In addition, Wagner is also president of Interact Club, and sees many ways that volunteering is beneficial to the community.

“I think it is beneficial to help families in the community that aren’t as fortunate as you are,” she said. “Especially around the holidays, during Christmas and when the weather is getting colder, families in Iowa City don’t necessarily have enough food.”

Students can volunteer their time by contacting members of Student Senate or Interact Club, or find out what other volunteer opportunities are coming up by attending their meetings. Student Senate meets at 8:15 A.M on Wednesdays in Mr. Tygrett’s room, and Interact Club meets at 8:15 A.M. on Thursdays in Mr. Lala’s room.

“We are trying to create fun incentives for kids to volunteer and donate to the drives,” said Wagner.

The library also allows students to bring in canned food items to pay for their book fines. Instead of paying a fee, students can bring in a canned food item, which goes directly to the Crisis Center.

The Hy-Vee Food Drives allow for students to help local families in need and earn silver cord hours. The experience is positive for both the students and members of the Crisis Center.