Teacher Appreciation: Mr. Arp

Elena Lyons-Macatee and Mr. Arp

Mr Arp is finishing up his last year conducting City’s Symphony Band, Jazz Workshop, Jazz Lab, and Jazz Ensemble. He will be moving on to be the head conductor at Liberty High School next year. I know I speak for everyone who has been connected to the band or jazz programs in saying we’re extremely sad to see him go, but for me, this being his last year has made my senior year in band that much more special. Spending time in the Jazz Ensemble this year has been my favorite part of all my time at City.

There is a sense of ease that radiates off of teachers about to leave. There’s no need to build a reputation so that incoming students will take your class seriously, teachers can just be their authentic selves. I expected the same from Mr. Arp, but instead I just realized that he has always just been honest with his students. This year he is just as easy to talk to as he has ever been and just as fun.

That being said, he knows how to motivate his students. I’ve never been the best trumpet player in the section, but seeing Mr. Arp’s genuine passion for music and for teaching his students to be the best players they could be made me always strive to make the most out of the parts I was given. Now, despite never expecting to play trumpet past high school, I’m now getting ready to join the jazz band program in college.

We’ll miss you, Mr. Arp. You’ll soon find that it isn’t just the students that make City’s bands great.