Mr. Ottmar Returns to City High

Lindy Rublaitus, Reporter

After graduating 6 years ago from City High, Aaron Ottmar is returning to replace Mr. Arp as assistant band director.

“I love being back here at City High,” Ottmar said. “The people are so friendly, there are so many great opportunities, and everyone here really cares about providing the best for students, so it is cool to be a part of that.”

During high school, Ottmar discovered his love for music and helping people with Mr. Arp and Dr. McReynolds as his teachers. He was asked at a young age if he could help elementary students start percussion. From then on, he knew that he wanted to share his knowledge with the rest of the world to help people become better musicians. Coming back to City High was just one of the perks.

“Once I knew I wanted to do music and music education, I always knew I wanted to get back here at some point,” Ottmar said.

He got the chance to come back when Mr. Arp was offered the head band director position at Liberty High school. Although he feels it is now strange that he is on a first name basis with Mr. Arp, he enjoys being able to collaborate and work with him in the same district.

“Taking over for Mr. Arp has been really interesting because Mr. Arp and Dr. McReynolds were both my band directors.” Ottmar said. “Taking over for Mr. Arp is quite an honor, actually, because he was awesome and I know a lot of people really learned a lot from him and enjoyed him as a teacher…I am glad that I can be a part of it.”

With more opportunities coming as the school year starts, Ottmar is excited to meet all of the students. He is prepared to make marching band season and Symphony Band some of the highlights of his first year back.

“It’s a lot of time and a lot of effort,” Ottmar said. “I was always told to never figure out how much you make because it’s not worth it, but working with the students and having them experience new opportunities is super cool for me.”

Ottmar is extremely thankful to have graduated from the ICCSD district because of the opportunity he got to reach his goals. He believes that the district will prepare you for whatever you want to do in the future.

“Whatever it is, whatever your goals are or dreams are, do it and run after it with everything you’ve got. That’s honestly why I am here. Once I knew I wanted to do music and music education, I always knew I wanted to get back here at some point. It’s just awesome realizing the dream,” Ottmar said. “It takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, and a lot of work, but it is totally worth it and I think that’s a part of why City High is ‘The School that Leads.’”