Student Senate Recap: Secretary and Treasurer Elections and More

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Copy & Opinion Editor

The Student Senate’s third meeting, held on Wednesday, September 13, began with the Senate voting to determine that the Secretary and Treasurer positions will be two separate roles performed by two individuals. Following that decision, the candidates for Secretary and Treasurer gave one-minute speeches. It was determined that Bihotza James-Lejarcegui ’18, who ran uncontested, would take on the role of Secretary, while Gabby McCormick ’18 would be the Treasurer, winning the vote over Eric Thomas ’18.

The Senate decided that it would meet once after Homecoming to discuss its agenda and regroup after the first major dance of the year. The date for this meeting has yet to be determined.

The Homecoming parade, Homecoming dance, and Powderpuff football committees then reported on their progress. The Art Club will be making decorations for the dance. Powderpuff football will take place on Tuesday, September 19, directly after the parade, and six teams are currently signed up to play. David Keffala-Gerhard ’18 will be the announcer of Powderpuff football.

The Senate meets every Wednesday morning in room 3311 at 8:15 am. To learn more, contact Mr. Tygrett, the primary faculty advisor, or attend meetings, which are open to all students.