A Night to Remember?

Lindy Rublaitus, Reporter

Once a year, I see beautiful, detailed dresses for homecoming in windows and on mannequins around the mall. Hypnotized by the beads and sequins, I feel the need to go in and try a couple on. When I finally find one I like and look at the price tag, I am forced to put back the amazing dress because I can’t afford the 140 dollar dress. This happens to me a little too often.

Homecoming tends to push me and almost every high schooler to spend too much money on dresses, homecoming proposals, dinner, photos, rides, and other useless products. I have been trying to find ways out of this excuse to spend money, but it isn’t the easiest when stores continuously push you to spend that extra 50 dollars that you don’t have on a dress that you will only wear once. Besides stores, you see your friends on Instagram in their beautiful 200 dollar dresses and think “I have to have that.” Why is it that, to have a good time on the night of homecoming, you have to spend hundreds of dollars to prepare yourself for lights, dancing, and drama? Money shouldn’t have to equal how much fun you have.

Personally, I have the most fun before the dance even starts. In past years, I have just spent time at a friend’s house having a good time. Home cooked meals and a movie make great nights and don’t cost 50 dollars per person. I can actually spend quality time with my friends and don’t have to worry about making reservations for a nice restaurant or getting food on my dress. I can just have a good time.

Over the past three years, I have obtained plenty of advice on how to stay on a low budget for an overpriced event. First of all, stay home for dinner. Like I said before, is it worth that extra 50 dollars to get food, or would you rather make memories with friends? Second, buy used dresses or reuse dresses you have. I personally have plenty of dresses that still fit and that I never wear. Third, don’t overthink it. This is a high school dance. It’s not the most important night of your life. The purpose of this dance is to have a good time, not spend money.