Student Senate Recap: Post-Homecoming Priorities

LH Staff

Art by Estie Dillard.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Copy & Opinion Editor

The Student Senate meeting for this week took place on Wednesday, September 27. It began with a thanks from the President and Vice President to the Homecoming dance committee for this year’s Homecoming dance.

There was a discussion of ways to improve the 2018 Homecoming dance. It was estimated that there were about a thousand in attendance this year, which, it was thought by a few, was too many people for the dance to continue to take place in the school cafeteria. It has been suggested that in future the Homecoming dance could possibly occupy another venue. A portion of the proceeds of the dance will go to relief in Puerto Rico or other islands in the area afflicted by natural disasters.

The Senate begun discussion of the winter formal dance, which, it was tentatively stated, will occur in December to avoid conflict with Dance Marathon. It also discussed the annual can drive and Powderbuff volleyball.

A proposed “Senate family vacation” has been tossed around as an idea. Discourse on the necessity and duties of class representatives was also initiated, and it was suggested that the position could transform from its prior nearly nonexistent role in student government to a diverse group of executives from all grades, which would meet with school administrators to discuss sensitive or complex issues confronting the student body.

The Senate meets every Wednesday morning in room 3311 at 8:15 am. To learn more, contact Mr. Tygrett, the primary faculty advisor, or attend meetings, which are open to all students.