Buzz-In Technology Added To City High

The New System Hopes to Improve Safety and Security Across the District

Noah Bullwinkle

The new buzz-in technology at Door 39.

Noah Bullwinkle, Video Editor

On October 2nd, City High and many other schools across the Iowa City Community School District implemented the buzz in system, which requires students to provide their ID at a certain entry point if they wish to re-enter their school.

“A little while ago after the Sandy Hook tragedy, the district underwent an evaluation of itself on how it stood on safety and security measures,” said Principal John Bacon. “It put a plan together, and one of the aspects of this plan was implementing these entrance systems in all of the schools in the district.”

Since Sandy Hook in 2012, there have been at least seven major shootings in schools. Students such as Ellis Chen ‘20 believe this program is beneficial to the safety of schools, but isn’t without its faults.

“I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, I can understand why people might be frustrated with it, because it makes life a little more complicated if you have an appointment in the morning. But I also can understand the security side of it,” Chen ‘20 said. “However, in my opinion, we don’t have a problem with security here at [City High].”

While some might question this system’s convenience, City High is making a slight change in its policy during the lunch hour to help students who eat lunch outside the school.

“At this time, we are making the decision to reopen the front doors during the lunch hour (4th period) because there is so much traffic coming and going,” Bacon said. “We also have pretty good supervision during the lunch hour so there is always a supervisor by those doors.”