Kate Meis
Kate Meis
News Editor

4th Ave. Jazz Company starts season

Last year, a large senior class graduated and left 4th Ave. Jazz Company. Now, the new and returning members will have to fill the gap the seniors left.

“We have a lot of new people this year,” 4th Ave. Director Greg Grove said. “We lost a great senior class, but I’m excited to meet the newcomers.”

Grove hopes to broaden the dance team’s horizons by including a new boogie medley dance.

“I’m very excited for this year’s Disco Boogie dance,” Grove said. “It has never been done before and I’m excited to see how it turns out.”

In addition to the Disco Boogie, dancers will also don new costumes featuring tribal and modern variations. New performers won’t be limited to eager freshmen this year, either. A plethora of performers from all grade levels will be joining 4th Ave. New member Mason Greer, ‘12, made a last minute decision to join the group.

“In a way I always wanted to try it but never thought I had time for it,” Greer said. “I didn’t actually decide to try out until the day of the try outs. I think it’s cool being a new senior because a lot of my friends have been trying to get me to do it since freshman year.”

4th Ave. will be participating in four different competitions in addition to their Works in Progress show on November 2 to demonstrate a rough draft of their performance.

“Adding singing to dancing creates new possibilities as well as difficulties,” Grove said. “I can never tell if they [the students] will crawl into their shell or if they will perform until we’re at the show. You just can’t simulate a real crowd or claps or any audience reaction, which is why we have the Works in Progress show.”

The four competitions will take place in January and early February. Greer looks forward to being able to perform in and out of competitions.

“I’m excited to preform the winter show and travel with my friends,” Greer said.

Director Dr. Grove shares Greer’s enthusiasm for the season.

“I love seeing the kids in a unique light and style,” Grove said. “We had a great season last year and it will be really really fun this year, too.”