To Have a Choice

Nina Lavezzo-Stecopoulos, Reporter

There are things that are simply facts. One fact is that it’s better to have a choice, rather than having none.  Recently, the Trump administration tried to stop an undocumented woman who was held in custody from getting an abortion, which is hideous. My opinion on abortion is that everyone should have a choice. Some people believe that abortions are wrong, and that’s completely fine. But they should not force their opinion onto other people by taking away a choice from them. Sometimes, for some people, abortion is the only option.

Some people believe that abortions are wrong, and that’s completely fine. But they should not force their opinion onto other people by taking away a choice from them. Sometimes, for some people, abortion is the only option.

Abortion once came up in a conversation I happened to be having. About half of those involved didn’t believe in Planned Parenthood but agreed that abortion should be an option. One girl, Alea*, didn’t believe in abortion at all. Alea* said she would never, never get an abortion–even if she were raped. This woman didn’t think that anyone should have an abortion, so I can assume she would like them to be illegal.

I believe that Alea* was incredibly uneducated and needed to learn more about abortion. First off, there are many different types of abortion. One can simply swallow a pill, which will then trigger a miscarriage that will feel natural to the body. This is not an option for long, but if a person has been raped and wants to take immediate action to abort the pregnancy, a pill is all it takes. The fact that there are women in the United States and all around the world not getting an abortion because they don’t understand what it is and what their options are is itself horrifying.

I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I want women to realize that abortion is not a bad thing. If a woman is not at a point in her life where she wants to have a child or simply go through with a pregnancy, it should be accepted in our society that she wants to have an abortion. And she deserves to have that option. There were over 100 million babies born already in 2017 according to the world clock. This information should show that there is no shortage of babies in the world and a single person’s decision not to have one is not a crime in the slightest.

I want women to realize that abortion is not a bad thing.

There are so many children on this Earth that have already been born and just need a home. It makes me sad that women have children solely because they’ve gotten pregnant accidentally, feel pressured by society not to, or just feel like they have to go through with it because their family, friends, or significant other wants them too. If I were ever going to have children I already know I would adopt. I don’t feel the need to bring another person into a universe that already has so many people in it.

So sure, people can have a baby when they’re still in high school or college and maybe that will turn out great for them, but everyone should know that they can get an abortion. They can make a choice not to “kill” their unborn child but to wait for the right time or not have a child at all. Everyone should have that choice. There is nothing wrong with another option.