Men’s Basketball Opens Season at Home

Egan Smith, Reporter

283 agonizing days and nights. That’s how long the City High Boys Varsity Team has waited to play on the court again. They have taken each and every one of those days to prepare for this year’s season and every challenge it throws at them.

City will be playing PV at 7:30 PM at City High.

“Coming off a tough last year, we feel much more prepared and experienced this year for those tough situations and adversity,” Varsity Starter Ry Threlkeld-Weigand ‘19 said.

The team has been very eager to get another shot at proving themselves worthy of a trip to Wells Fargo Arena since the day 2016-17 season ended.

“It started in March when we were still eligible to practice with them during the state tournament,” Head Coach Derek Roberts said. “We had skill sessions twice a week during the spring; many workouts, lifting sessions and tournaments throughout the summer. This fall we have done study tables, team building activities alongside our skill workouts conditioning and lifting.”

However, the team knows that nothing will be handed to them this season and will have to out work other teams for the win.

“We know it’s not going to be easy but we know what adversity is like and we will be prepared for Thursday and whatever PV has drawn up for us,” Threlkeld-Weigand said.

That pattern will continue throughout the season as the Little Hawks’ schedule includes many elite teams.

“We will play possibly the toughest schedule than any other high school team in the state – there are no easy games on our schedule,” Coach Roberts said.