Claire Hartwig
Claire Hartwig
Assistant Culture Editor

Little Hawks Swoop into Championship Match

The Red Zone celebrates with the players after beating Ankeny. Photo by Annika Wasson.

By Annika Wasson

Celebration after winning in the fourth game against Ankeny. Photo by Annika Wasson

In a battle of the birds, our “sturdy Little Hawks” soared just high enough to hold off a pesky flock of Ankeny Hawkettes and put themselves into the state volleyball championship match.

In the first two sets, the biggest lead for either team was three points.  City won the first set 26-24 as a result of several Ankeny errors.  After being down 1-4 in the second set, the team came back and forced Ankeny to take a timeout with the score now 9-6.  In the middle of the set, fear struck the Little Hawks when Mickey Hansche ’13 and Laura Shepherd ’12 hit heads while diving for an Ankeny kill.  However, the two were able to return within one point and help the Little Hawks hold on to win again, 26-24.

“When it’s that tight, it’s a play here and there and in the end, we made all the plays,” head coach Craig Pitcher said.

Just as in the first and second sets, the two teams’ scores were close throughout the entire third set.  The Little Hawks scrambled to make plays, but in the end Ankeny came away with the win, 23-25.

The team came out in the fourth set more determined than ever to finish the match and earn their spot in the state championship.  In the midst of another close set with the score tied 22-22, the student section voiced a rousing cheer of “YES WE CAN” and spurred the team’s final sprint.  Liz Hubing ’13 got a kill to make it 23-22.  Aliyah Gustafson ’13 followed up with another kill.  A Little Hawk error made the score 24-23 and gave the serve to the Hawkettes.  After a short rally, Gustafson spiked a massive kill to win the match for the Little Hawks, 25-23.

“It’s one of the best feelings you could possibly have,” Erin Muir ’12 said.  “I’m really happy and I’m excited to play tomorrow.”

Michaela Nelson ’14 led the team in kills with 18, Abby Saehler ’13 and Hubing close behind with 14, and Rachel Rinehart ’13 added eight.

With this win the Little Hawks are now 40-3 on the season.  Tomorrow they will take on cross-town rival West High in the state championship match at 11 a.m. on the center court in the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena.  It’s no secret that City has had two disappointing losses agaisnt the Women of Troy in the “Battle of the Spike” and the MVC championship.  West may have won the earlier contests, but the Little Hawks are looking to win the ultimate battle of the year.

“In essence we have nothing to lose, but we have everything to gain,” Pitcher said.