Student Senate Recap: Dodgeball’s Illegality is Problematic

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Copy & Opinion Editor

The Student Senate meeting on Wednesday, February 21 began with a debriefing on the events of the preceding Friday’s Open Mic Night and the presentation of a poster created by Ella Hennager ’19 to spread awareness about the sexual harassment hotlines available to students.

“We don’t have a whole lot of money to give out for grant funds this year,” said Maya Durham ’19 .”[Treasurer Gabby McCormick ’18 and I] are going to draft up an announcement email that says something like, ‘You can ask for grant funds but please don’t ask for too much.'”

The Senate reviewed what was said about Homecoming inclusivity during the February 14 meeting.

“Patrick [McMillan ’18] and I found out that dodgeball is apparently illegal in the state of Iowa,” President Teagan Roeder ’18 said. “We’re not having a dodgeball tournament; we’re having a speedball tournament.”

The Senate split into committees.

The Senate meets every Wednesday morning in room 3311 at 8:15 am. To learn more, contact Steve Tygrett, the primary faculty advisor, or attend meetings, which are open to all students.