Youth Salute Honors City High Students

Lottie Gidal, News and Sports Editor

After a months long selection process, the Hills Bank Youth Salute Awards program announced the winners of the scholarship competition Sunday evening in a ceremony that brought together hundreds of students and parents in the Englert Theatre. In a competition that spanned over 15 school districts, City and West led the way in participants, with City students Quinn Kopelman and Maya Durham making it to the final four.

“It was really cool to see how well City was represented, I mean, TSTL,” Quinn Kopelman ’19 said. “It was really awesome to have so many other names called out and to be among those names. I was certainly in good company.”

Kopelman was named runner up male student and will receive a $250 scholarship from Hills Bank. Mathew Colon, Meirav Flatte, Alexa Fredricks, Lauren Grove, Hayden Johnson, Adriana McCall, Zoe Miller, Lillian Prybil, Michael Santoro, Andrew Tribbey, Rachael Volkman, and April Wilson were also recognized and will receive $100 each from Hills Bank.

Principal John Bacon was in attendance to introduce Durham as the female winner and recipient of $500 and an invitation to attend a youth leadership conference at Washington University in St. Louis.

“It now gives me great pleasure to introduce to you a young woman who is a scholar, a thinker, an activist, and indeed a leader, City High senior Maya Durham,” Bacon said.

The recognition was felt by many students in attendance, as the fall of senior year brings the college application deadlines close.

“I definitely felt very honored,” Kopelman said. “There were so many incredible people there, I’m sure this will give people a motivational boost going into the college app season.”