2018 National Merit Semi-Finalists Are Announced

Lottie Gidal, News and Sports Editor

Five City High students will advance to become semi-finalists for the National Merit Scholarship competition in 2018. Liza Sarsfield, Lillian Prybil, Jack Bacon, and Quinn Kopelman are among the 16,000 students nationwide to achieve this honor, based off of their PSAT scores from last fall. 

“I’m certainly proud of the kids, but honestly, everybody has their strengths and that national merit comes down to a performance on the past exam,” John Bacon said. “So if you are a great test taker that’s great for you, but hopefully all of our City High kids find what they love to do and do it the best they can, that’s all that really matters to me.”

Each student will now have to complete a detailed scholarship application, which includes essays and information about their extracurricular involvements and leadership positions. Semifinalists also have to have an outstanding academic record, be endorsed and recommended by a school official, and earn SAT scores that confirm their qualifying test performance.

“I feel really honored and lucky,” Kopelman said. “I have incredible amounts of respect for all the other semi-finalists and commended students and I feel really honored to be amongst them.”

While West High School has 21 semifinalists, Kopelman is confident City High is still the school that leads in other ways.

“We truly have a great group of students, here, at the school that leads,” Kopelman said.