The Little Hawks Pick Up a Win in Weekend Doubleheader

Jerel Moore attempts a free throw during City High’s victory over Muscatine. Photo by Tristan Spears

By Tristan Spears

Jerel Moore dunks the ball to cap off a victory over Muscatine.  Photo by Tristan Spears.

The City High Boy’s Basketball picked up a win at the Muscatine Fieldhouse on Saturday, coming less than 24 hours after dropping a home game against Cedar Rapids Prairie.

City started the Prairie game off right with a quick five points to start the game. But Prairie would soon gain control, as City would never see the lead again. Just after halftime City led a rally to tie the game at 30-30. Prairie then gained yet another lead, when City also rallied to tie it 40-40 going into the 4th quarter.

“I like the courage our boys showed,” said City coach Adam Loria. “But it’d be nice to build leads instead of digging out of a hole”

Prairie guard Jacob Aune hit a 3-pointer to give Prairie a 43-40 lead, but three plays later City senior Jerel Moore took the ball up for an impressive dunk which would’ve given a lot of momentum towards City. Although he was called for a technical foul because the officials claimed that Moore did a chin up while on the rim.

“I didn’t think it was the right call given the situation.” said Moore. “But that’s just how it goes sometimes.”  Loria added, “the rule takes the call out of the officials hands.”

Prairie would then take the two-free throws and extra possession to build a seven-point lead to which City would never be able to recover. The final score was 54-47.

“At the end of the day when you have so many unforced turnovers, it takes the game out of your hands,” Loria said.

City though would adequately recover less than 24 hours later.

Spurred by an 8-0 start to the first quarter, the Little Hawks controlled most aspects of the game against Muscatine.

The only time the Muskies concerned City during the game was right before halftime, Muscatine senior Griffin Gaeta led his team on 12-0 run to give the home team a 29-26 lead with 3:04 to play in the first half. The Little Hawks quickly responded and senior Jerel Moore hit 1 of 2 free throws to give City a 32-31 lead going into the second half.

The third quarter was low scoring, albeit was capped off by an impressive alley-oop converted by Jerel Moore. Even though the points were not plentiful, City used the quarter to build up a solid seven-point lead going into the final frame.

City had several players convert free throws in the waining moments of Saturday’s game to secure a convincing 70-56 win over the Muskies.

“I’m very pleased,” said Loria. “It was a nice adjustment from last night. We had only 10 turnovers tonight, which leads to more to more chances to score.”

Jerel Moore attempts a free throw during City High's victory over Muscatine. Photo by Tristan Spears

Loria was also pleased with the intensity on the glass, which was spurred by Moore’s double-double of 18 points and 12 rebounds, 8 of which were offensive and led to numerous second-chance points.  City guard Andy Hein was 3/3 shooting and had several clutch shots to quell any Muscatine run.

“We were just confident shooting the ball,” Hein said. “The team played well when we needed to.

The win moves City to 4-5 overall, and 1-4 in MVC play. Muscatine dropped to 3-6 overall, and 2-3 in MAC play.  City’s next game is a home game against Cedar Falls, who is coming off a two wins in Minneapolis this weekend. Cedar falls comes into Iowa City 8-2, with one of the losses coming from a December 20th meeting with West.