Q&A With Students Auditioning for All State Music

Phoebe Chapnick-Sorokin, Executive Editor

Little Hawk: How many years have you auditioned for all state?

Quinn Kopelman: since freshman year

Annie Rummelhart: 2 years and I’m going to audition this year

Lillian Prybil: This is my first year auditioning

LH: How many years have you gotten in?

QK: Freshman year I was an alternate, and I made it in my Sophomore and Junior year

AR: twice

LH: What do you like about the audition process?

AR: it is cool to see how hard the excerpts are in the beginning then actually be able to play them by the audition

LP: I like that the process really motivates people to better themselves as individual musicians. This year we have to practice for an hour everyday outside of school with our group which is definitely a big commitment, but I’m excited to see our improvement over the next month.

LH: What is difficult about auditioning for all state?

QK: I mean, the music is certainly not easy to learn, and in addition to that I think getting over the nerves is one of the hardest parts.

AR: being stressed out about it because it’s a little scary

LP: Nerves are a big problem for me, especially with singing. My neck muscles tense up and that’s really not ideal if you’re trying to sing with good technique.

LH: What do you do to get over your nerves?

QK: I just kind of ignore everybody. I just close my eyes and pretend they’re not there, then I go into a fake it till you make it mentality and try to smile through the audition.

AR: I don’t know, I just kind of know that I’ve done it before and whatever happens happens. Just gotta go full send into the audition

LH: What do you like about all state?

QK: I think it is really cool to have so many people that are so devoted to music kind of gathered all together

AR: being in a full orchestra because here it’s mainly just strings and we have a few rehearsals with band, but at all state you have a full all of the band and it’s really cool

LH: What is your least favorite part about all state?

QK: the long rehearsals

AR: how long the rehearsals are because it’s a lot of sitting there and a lot of times you’re not playing because there are so many different instruments

LP: Thus far, it’s that I’m already getting tired of singing the same songs every day.

LH: Why do you do all state?

AR: it’s good to get a chance to get to work with a new conductor and all new people in the orchestra and get a bigger orchestra experience and play actual symphonies

LP: I chose to audition this year because I thought it would be a good challenge. I thought about doing band but the chances of me getting in the band are very slim.

LH: What’s your favorite memory of all state?

AR: Andrew Usachev finishing his ginormous burger no problem and JP and Jimmy almost vomiting trying to finish it