World Affairs Seminar Informational Meeting Will Take Place on Wednesday

Mariam Keita, Culture Editor

World Affair Seminar is an annual summer program, open to juniors, that is held at Carroll University in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Each summer, the international program gathers 300 students from a wide range of countries all around the world. The cultural diplomacy program’s mission is “peace through understanding” over the course of one week.

This year’s session will be held from Saturday, June 22, 2019 – Friday, June 28, 2019. The theme will be “The Promise and Perils of Social Media.” Rocio Stejskal ‘19 attended WAS last year under the theme “Innovation” and still speaks regularly with the people that she met at the conference. She has even made plans to reunion with some of her former conferees.

“The conference was about what I expected in terms of activities, but it surpassed my expectations with regards to the friendships I formed there,” said Stejskal. “We played games, talked, ate, danced, and watched the sun come up from the top of the bleachers at the soccer field. We bonded easily and the conversations were both entertaining and edifying.”

An info meeting will be held for this year’s WAS program on Wednesday, November 7, in the Little Theater.  Students who are interested in learning more about the program should sign up to attend the info meeting with Ms. Hanrahan in the main office before November 7.

Students who complete an application and are accepted into the program will be able to attend WAS free of cost through a sponsorship from their local rotary club. At WAS, students will have the opportunity to learn conflict resolution and engage in critical discussion, all while experiencing residential college life alongside students from several different walks of life.  Last year, 30 countries were represented.

“I advise anyone going to WAS to participate fully and keep an open mind and an open heart,” said Stejskal. “Stray away from the other people from your school and don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to new people. Be aware that everyone you meet has something unique to offer, especially if they are different from you. Don’t forget to stay in contact with the people you befriend!”