Jordan Gringer in Mrs. Gibben’s classroom (Rachel Meehan)
Jordan Gringer in Mrs. Gibben’s classroom

Rachel Meehan

Student Teacher Profile: Jordan Gringer

April 29, 2019

Jordan Gringer, a student teacher in AP US History at City High, has advanced in his pedagogical knowledge throughout his time student teaching at City High. Gringer, originally from around Hills Iowa has been assisting Mrs. Gibbens in her AP U.S History and American History classes.

“At the beginning of the year, I was mostly helping [Mrs. Gibbens] pass out papers and little things like that, but then eventually I moved into helping her teach her classes,” said Gringer. “Now I’m lead teaching for the next few weeks in her American Studies class. I now get to make the units and teach everything. There are definitely lots of phases to student teaching. It kind of builds upon itself.”

The student teaching program at the University of Iowa provides college students with hands-on experience in their field of study. Many students come to City High every year to work with the City High staff in teaching their class and learning how to be an effective teacher. Students are given the opportunity to build their people skills and teaching skills.

“During the semester, I’ve definitely improved skills like making assignments and grading. I’ve gotten lots of good practice with that. I’ve also been given experiences being in front of a class, putting a lesson together, and classroom management techniques. I can learn and try to see what works and what doesn’t.”

After his time at City High, Gringer plans to look into finding a full-time teaching job. When he graduates from the University of Iowa, he is looking forward to having his own classes and establishing himself as a teacher.

“My favorite part of student teaching has been when I know that something I’m teaching makes sense and goes over well. If I’m somehow able to make something understandable and interesting, it’s really rewarding.”