City’s Defense Stifles Linn-Mar, Still Not Enough

Jeremy Johnson held Marcus Paige who is one of the top point guards in country to 19 points. Photo by Tristan Spears

In what appeared to be a recurrence of City’s Friday night game against Cedar Rapids Kennedy where the Little Hawks held the Cougars to a school record low twenty-two points.

Linn-Mar started off slow allowing City to open up the game with a 7-2 lead.

The Lions would then crawl their way back through the first quarter capped off by top rated point guard prospect and North Carolina signee Marcus Paige with a leaping throw down dunk.

City would keep the game nip and tuck in what proved to be a low scoring first half. In the final seconds capped off with the first 3-pointer of the game by Paige to take a 17-12 lead into the half.

Linn-Mar would start the second half on fire building an 11-point lead with three minutes left in the 3rd quarter. City would close out on a 8-2 run capped off by a buzzer beating put back by City senior Ronald Thompson.

City coach Adam Loria praised his team’s second chance point opportunities. “That’s one of the things we do well. We got I think eighteen offensive rebounds, bottom line though is you still need to finish.”

Linn-Mar would again open the 4th quarter with a quick run to go up 38-30. City would be able to claw its way back to pull within two points at 38-36 with 2:35 left to play.

The Lions would then on play conservatively and when the Little Hawks starting fouling, Linn-Mar was nearly flawless from the free throw line, utilizing Paige and junior Matt Meier.

City (6-10) would get a late two pointer as Linn-Mar (12-3) would win 49-38.

Despite the loss, Loria said the loss still gives him and his team some confidence heading into the final stretch and postseason.

“I think it has to, we held them to twenty points below their season average. We did a very nice job containing (Paige) him,” who was coming off two straight 40+ point performances. City held him to 19 points. “Also, we got open looks offensively and just needed to finish them.” Loria continued.

Linn-Mar head coach Chris Robertson also praised City’s offensive rebounding. “One thing we needed to do better was get more defensive rebounds. That slowed us down in the first half when we gave them twelve offensive rebounds. That gave them extra possessions.”
Linn-Mar has had several close games against lower ranked opponents, including last Friday’s 68-67 win over Cedar Rapids Prairie.

“Jeremy Johnson held Marcus Paige who is one of the top point guards in country to 19 points. Photo by Tristan Spears”

“This was another wake-up call. I think it’s about time we wake up and start playing like we know we can.”